Mix all ingredients above & smear over 2 lamb shanks, cover & refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but 6-8 hours would be better. When your ready to cook, carry on below.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp garlic & ginger paste
- 2 dried red chillies
- 4 cloves
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 150ml water
- Put the oven on to gas mark 4 or 160C
- Heat the oil in a heavy based Casserole pan, add the onion, garlic & ginger & fry for 3-4 mins
- In a pestle & mortar, grind the dried chillies, cloves,cardamoms,coriander & poppy seeds, add to the pan along with the turmeric & stir for a minute.
- Add the lamb shanks with all the marinade to the pan & sauté to seal on each side for a minute or two.
- Now add the tomato purée & 150ml of water, stir & bring to a boil
- Cover with a lid and transfer the pan to the oven & cook for 1 hour until the meat is tender.
- Remove the meat from the pan & keep warm whilst you whiz the sauce in a blender & then pass it through a sieve to achieve a smooth gravy.
Serve the lamb shanks with the sauce poured over & with rice or bread. Enjoy!