As a rule of the thumb, you can often tell how good a curry restaurant is just by the quality of the ‘Chana Masala’. This recipe won’t disappoint & will have you paying the bill everytime.
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 small cooking onions (finely chopped)
- 12g garlic (pulped)
- 12g ginger (pulped)
- 1 green finger chilli (chopped)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g can chick peas
- 1 400g can brown chickpeas (kala chana)
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- chopped fresh coriander
- In a hot pan dry fry the coriander & cumin seed for a minute, remove from the heat and grind in a pestle & mortar. Put to one side
- Heat the oil in a same pan, add the onion, garlic & ginger & fry for 2-3 mins then add the green chilli, cook for a further 2 mins until the onions have softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes & cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Now add the ground coriander,cumin, turmeric & chilli powder along with the water & a good pinch of salt, stir & bring to a boil.
- Drain the chick peas & add them to the pan, stir & cover with a lid. Simmer for 25 mins
- Just before you are about to serve, stir in the toasted ground spices along with the garam masala & lemon juice
- Decorate with freshly chopped coriander & serve.
Serve with rice or bread as a main course or as a side dish. Enjoy!